Prohibition-Style Cocktail & Cheese Party at Bedford Cheese Shop
The city is full of cheesy soirees, but here's one worth attending: an evening of creative cocktails + all the fresh (and "prohibited") cheeses + local produce worth knowing about
What To Expect
- 2 creative summer cocktails per ticket served "Prohibition-style" in their back room speakeasy
- Bedford's curated cheese plates complete with local produce
- A mixing-and-mingling education about fresh cheese varieties, from the "prohibited" raw milk cheeses to the pasteurized, local farms of the area
- Chocolate tasting provided by Bixby and Co.
- Big screen projection of "Boardwalk Empire" TV series in The Homestead classroom
- A soundtrack set to the sounds of 1920-something
- 1920s DRESS-UP ATTIRE: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
The build up to this milk-curdling event began a month ago when Bedford Cheese Manhattan opened in Gramercy. It was never meant to be a mere cheese shop, you see. It's a bastion for education on all things cheese. Under Jessica Sennett, the director of education, community events were thrown in an attempt to merge the worlds of art, music, fashion, and fromage.
It was decided that now is as good a time as any to turn things up a notch and hold a full-on part-tay complete with Prohibition swag. That’s right — a Boardwalk Empire-themed event is going down, and you’re all invited.
In keeping with the spirit of Prohibition, there will be a series of summer cocktails served in the backroom, paired with an assortment of fresh seasonal fruits. And the cheese. Oh, the cheese. One platter-per-person will be provided, totaling a third of a pound of the best international and domestic cheeses around. Jessica will be there to talk participants through the history of cheese in America during the roaring 20s, a time when masses of people moved to the big cities, resulting in the loss of time-tested, cheese-making techniques of small farmers.
If you’re gonna drink with your pinkie out, nom-nomming on sizable wedges while Boardwalk Empire is screening in the background, we ask that you arrive brandishing some historically appropriate duds. Rock your fedora and flapper gear like you mean business.
Cheese is what’s hot right now. Don’t believe us? Bedford Cheese Manhattan will show you the whey.